In the event of a minor injury, the PRICE method (Protect, Rest, Ice Packs, Compress, Elevate) can be applied, which consists of the following actions:
– Protect: Protect the injury from subsequent damage.
– Rest: Rest for the first 48 to 72 hours later, gradually resuming the movement so as not to lose too much muscle strength.
– Ice packs: Apply ice packs wrapped in a towel on the injured area, to reduce inflammation and bruising.
– Compress: Compress the area with bandages to contain the injury and help reduce inflammation.
– Elevate: Elevate the injured area above the level of the heart to control inflammation. Keep the area contained, and try to keep it as elevated as possible until the inflammation subsides.
If the injury is very serious, a doctor should be consulted, he will determine if the injury will require surgery to repair the injury or if it can be recovered only with physical therapy exercises.